TN Visa - NAFTA Professionals

Typically, a citizen of a foreign country who wants to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a non-immigrant visa for a temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Select NAFTA to visit the Office of the United States Trade Representative website and learn more.

The non-immigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States in prearranged business activities for U.S. or foreign employers. Permanent residents of Canada and Mexico are not able to apply for TN visas to work as NAFTA professionals.

Eligibility for NAFTA Professional (TN) Non-immigreant Status:

  • Canadians and Mexicans may be eligible to work in the United States as NAFTA professionals under the following conditions:

    • Applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico.

    • Profession is on the NAFTA List.

    • Position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional.

    • Applicant will work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job for an employer. Self employment is not permitted.

    • Applicant has the qualifications, meeting the specific requirements, education, and/or experience, of the profession.

  • With some exceptions, each profession requires a baccalaureate degree as an entry-level requirement. If a baccalaureate is required, experience cannot be substituted for that degree. In some professions, an alternative to a bachelor's degree is listed. For some professions, experience is required in addition to the degree.

  • Requirements for Canadians and Mexicans are different, as explained below.